Welcome to the last week of the Out of My Mind Parent Book Club blog discussion! Thank you so much to those who have been participating in the conversations. This week we are finishing up the book (chapters 21-33). As with the previous weeks, choose one, several, or all of the questions to think about and comment on, replying to others' comments as well.
Also, feel free to go back to previous blog posts and join in on the conversations!
The face-to-face Parent Book Club will be at Columbia Intermediate on Monday, October 26th at 7:00 in the cafe. Your fifth grade children are welcome to join us. Bring your books and be ready to talk about this fabulous story!
Let the final discussions begin...
1. Connor always makes our students laugh. Describe Connor. Who is your favorite of the kids in book besides Melody? Why?
2. Do you think Mr. Dimming redeems himself in chapter 21 when he says, "'I regret I underestimated her, and I'm glad to have her on our team'"?
3. Melody is excited to be on the team, but she still has reservations. What are some of the things that still separate her from the others?
4. In chapter 23, Paul, the stage manager, has special accommodations made for Melody. Why was he able to set things up for her so perfectly? Empathy is sometimes developed when we have experienced something difficult. What are your thoughts on that?
5. Chapter 25 stirs up a lot of indignation in students when they hear what Claire says about her relationship with Melody. What do you think Claire's motivations are? What do you think her background story is?
6. Melody is concerned when the newspaper features just her in the picture. Even though her family is proud, the other team members react just as Melody expected. Do you think they're justified in their feelings? Why or why not?
7. Chapter 28 is arguably the most heartbreaking part of the book. WHY did Sharon Draper choose this plot twist?! Explain why you think she made this happen in the story. How did it make you feel?
8. Mr. Dimming tries to explain what happened in chapter 29 to Melody's mother, and then in 32, the whole team tries to make it up to her by giving her the ninth-place trophy. As a parent, how would you have handled the situation? Do you think the team and Mr. Dimming were justified in their actions? Why or why not? Describe how Melody handles it.
9. Chapter 30 brings another traumatic event into Melody's family's lives. What was the accident a result of? What scene foreshadowed this event earlier in the book?
10. Mrs. V and Melody argue about "normal" in chapter 31. What are your thoughts on "normal"?
11. Have you ever felt like Melody when she says, "It's like somebody gave me a puzzle, but I don't have the box with the picture on it. So I don't know what the final thing is supposed to look like. I'm not even sure if I have all the pieces"? Explain.
12. Do you think Rose changed throughout the story? Explain.
13. Students aren't always happy about how the book concludes. Things are not exactly "tied up in a neat bow". What are your thoughts on the way the book ends?
14. Any final thoughts on Out of My Mind? Your impressions of the novel as a whole? We read this book as part of a Diversity/Empathy unit in 5th grade. How do think it represents those theme topics?
15. Please include any feedback on the blog portion of our Parent Book Club.
Thanks again for participating in the blog portion of our 1st ever CIS Parent Book Club! We look forward to seeing you on October 26th if you are able to attend!